Sunday, April 14, 2013

Stop Talking and Just Write Your Ass Off.

A couple of years ago I decided to take the plunge and begin to write. I'm a late bloomer to the art, but it's something I've wanted to do for many years. Why not earlier? Fear of rejection and the fear of failure. Simple as that. Has the work been easy? I will admit you have good days and bad days but it's like having another job. Then one day you say to yourself...'it is my other job.' Have I enjoyed it? HELL YES. I love it. Am I busier these days? Absolutely. Do I intend to be published within the next year? That's the goal.

I'm going to keep this simple...get off your ass and write if that's what you really want to do. There are no half measures. You either will write or you won't. You have to make time everyday to write. Yes, I know from experience that life interferes and some-days you can't write. I still have my bad days. But you should wake up in the morning with the mindset to write at some point during day (or night) even if it is for five minutes or five hours.

So pull up an uncomfortable chair and find a dark closet, your home office, the bus station, an old dingy cabin in the woods, a meat locker, or any other freakin place on this earth where you can find the solace to write.

Commit, close your eyes, and jump off the cliff. There's no turning back. Stop talking, sit down and write your ass off.

That's my two cents on the subject. I'm sure I'll add more later but that's for another day.

1 comment: